I am very picky as to what our family ingests and lathers on our skin. I try to avoid all chemicals and toxins as much as possible, which is why I was forking over a lot of money per month for all natural liquid hand soap. Not to mention, some of the ingredients listed in these “all natural” hand soaps I couldn’t recognize or pronounce, which is a red flag for me. That’s why I decided to make my own at less than half the cost I was paying for store bought hand soap.
I am a nerd and did the cost breakdown…this hand soap recipe costs 0.20 cents per ounce to make! I was paying on average $1.81 per ounce for all natural store bought hand soap ☹.
O.k., so let’s move on and inform you how to make it…
YOU WILL NEED:
- One all natural bar of soap (free of chemicals and toxins). I prefer Dr. Bronner’s unscented castile bar soap because it has a minimal ingredient list and I know what each ingredient is.
- Distilled or purified water
- High quality essential oils
- Jojoba oil
- Glass jars or other storage containers
- Hand soap dispensers (I recommend amber or dark glass if using essential oils)
HOW TO MAKE IT (yields approximately 6 cups):
Bring 8 cups of distilled or purified water to a boil.
Add 1 cup of grated castile bar soap and dissolve completely while stirring (I use an old cheese grater to grate my bar of soap).
Let sit overnight stirring occasionally (every 2-3 hours) until you go to bed.
The next morning, stir your “base” liquid hand soap and using a funnel store the “base” liquid hand soap in glass containers (again, I prefer glass jars…no BPA) until ready to use.
When your current dispenser runs out of liquid hand soap, measure out 2 cups of your “base” liquid hand soap into a large glass bowl or 4 cup Pyrex (Make sure to stir the “base” thoroughly in the jar prior to measuring and transferring).
Add 2 heaping tablespoons of jojoba oil…
and 40 to 50 drops of essential oil of your choice (or 20 drops each of a couple different essential oils) and stir thoroughly.
Use funnel to add your finished liquid hand soap to soap dispenser.
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE LIQUID HAND SOAP ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS (for 2 cups of “base” liquid hand soap)
- 40 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 30 drops of basil and 30 drops of vanilla essential oil
- 30 drops of lavender, 30 drops of lemongrass, and 20 drops of tea tree (melaleuca) essential oil
- 40 drops of doTERRA OnGuard essential oil
- 30 drops of lavender and 30 drops of vanilla essential oil
I hope you try it!
Disclosure: The Wiedmeyer Homestead is an affiliate for some of the products in this post, which means when you purchase products through these links we will receive a small commission. There is no extra cost to you when purchasing through these links, however support through affiliate links helps us to continue running this blog and provide free content. We only recommend products or services we personally believe in and have already used ourselves. Feel free to contact us with any questions regarding affiliate links by filling out the contact form on the bottom of our About Us page. Thanks for your support!