Hello there and welcome to our blog! The Wiedmeyer family consists of myself (Jessica), my husband Tracey (who will be referred to as “Trace” throughout the blog because that’s what I call him ;), and our two daughters. We are finally fulfilling our dream of building our own home and starting our family homestead in Southeastern Wisconsin.
WHY ARE WE STARTING A HOMESTEAD?
My husband and I grew up as country kids in Wisconsin, went to high school together, fell in love, and went to separate colleges. Upon graduating college, we moved away from family and entered corporate America, got married, had two amazing daughters and bought our first home.
Eventually the daily grind of working 9-5 jobs and living in a city resulted in us feeling unfulfilled and we couldn’t foresee ourselves living this way our entire lives. We missed the country and living the lifestyle that we had during our childhood. We also knew it was important that our daughters have the same experiences we did as children. Additionally, our current lifestyle did not allow us to be as self-sufficient as we wanted to be. We were tired of the amount of money we were spending on organic food and natural health/personal care products to meet our lifestyle needs.
We started having long conversations on what we needed to do to start a homestead so we could eventually exit the “rat race”, allowing us the opportunity to grow our own food, raise our own animals, learn to live off the land, make our own health/personal care products, and become as self-sufficient as possible. We agreed that throughout the entire process of creating our homestead we would do most of the work ourselves to save money, including being our own general contractor during the building process of our home.
It has taken our family 8 years, and a ton of hard work and patience to get to the point of starting our homestead. We have accomplished several hurdles so far, but we still have a long road ahead of us the next several years.
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR
- Purchased land for our homestead
- Purchased a used skid loader
- Built a tiny cabin on our land
- Widened and installed a new culvert in existing driveway on our property
- Purchased a used dump truck
- We sold our home near Chicago, IL, I quit my job, and we moved within 5 minutes from our land
- Purchased and placed 2 shipping containers on our property to store most of our stuff while we build
- Planted our first garden
- Designed our home and received final plans from architect
- Determined our building budget
- Compiled quotes for building materials, services, and labor needed to build our home
- Completed the tear down of existing house on property
- Purchased a used SkyTrak
- Purchased a used mini excavator
- Started the building process of our home
WHAT WE NEED TO ACCOMPLISH TO MEET OUR HOMESTEAD GOALS
- Get our house to a point in which we can live in it and be on our land full time
- Complete exterior of house ourselves
- Complete interior of house ourselves
- Build a chicken coop
- Buy and raise chickens (egg layers and meat chickens)
- Plant an orchard
- Learn new ways to preserve our food
- Build a shed
- Plant an herbal garden
- Plant berry bushes
- Clean and restore our one acre pond
- Build several pens, shelters, etc. to raise future farm animals
- Raise pigs
- Purchase ATV’s to make hauling wood and other homestead chores easier
- Clear trails in our woods for ATV’s
- Purchase a dairy cow
- Raise bees
- Make our own dairy products (cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.)
ABOUT THE BLOG
I am starting this blog to document how we started our homestead from scratch in hopes that it inspires other families who are on the same path to greater self-sufficiency. There will also be fun homesteading posts about gardening, DIY stuff, our success with using essential oils, and living life to the fullest.
Most importantly, I hope this blog allows us to connect with fellow homesteaders as we have so much to learn and share on this journey.
Thanks for being here with us!